Thursday, June 19, 2008

My first blog posting!


This is a cool way to share some of my experiences with other artists and those who are interested in the creative struggles of a professional artist. Since about 2001, I have been a studio artist who mostly created original oil paintings from photographs or set-ups. Last year however, I felt the need to go outdoors. Up till then, people had responded to my artwork by saying: 'your paintings look just like photographs' and it had always sounded like a compliment. But after a while it dawned on me that I did not want to just 'copy' pictures and I was not happy with this sincere kind of admiration. I wanted to be a 'real' painter and show some of my own handwriting in the paintings by using bolder brushstrokes. Not everything has to look smooth and flawless anymore. I had also lost a bit of spontaneity and enthusiasm in the longer process of planning a painting from start to finish. The layering of transparent colors is still a favorite technique since it keeps colors clean and vibrant. But the underpainting could use a bit more action. I also felt that my digital camera and computer screen were failing me when it comes to color accuracy. The lights in a photograph are too light and the darks too dark. So, in order to become a better painter, we headed for the great outdoors....or at least the backyard! My brother sponsored a lightweight field-easel and I signed up for a few plein-air workshops with Roger Dale Brown, Tracey Frugoli and Bethanne Cople. What an eye-opener: you can be both a plein-air sketch artist AND a studio painter.....it's not a matter of choosing one over the other! Together with photographs, the sketches on site make wonderful little studies for bigger studio pieces and there is even a market for the sketches. A couple of books and a few plein-air events later, I am hooked! This indoor-girl gets a tan and enjoys painting even more.